Jun 26, 2012

USVI: Vacation Edition


We landed at my favorite kind of airport.  The kind where you exit the plane right there on the tarmac.  Walking down that flight of stairs you can pretend to be exiting your very own private plane and give a little wave to the pretend news crew there to document your arrival.  Who else is with me on this?  Anyone?  No?  Er...
Anyway, we arrived.  Hello, paradise.  I was apparently out of my vacation photography mode because I have no pictures from the first day and night, so I will pick up with Friday morning: Sail and Snorkel with the family!

Leaving St. Thomas behind...
















Wind in the sails...





















This was my first time snorkeling and, natural born fish that I am, ahem, I really did enjoy it.  Or at least the part where you see tropical fish and turtles.  Really cool.  Not having an underwater camera, the following pics are from above the sea.  Jeremy's parents, sister, aunt and uncle and we had an awesome voyage.




















Friday night was spent on another boat tour with the whole wedding group...and I took not one single picture, but the sunset was truly lovely!  Here's a picture taken later in the evening. (thanks for the pic Christina!)

















Saturday was wedding day.
Sunday- more sailing!  I, after hours of tedious research and emails (so many emails), picked a day sail for Jeremy and me.  I also apparently picked the most uptight captain on the Caribbean sea (rum punch for the captain, please) but the snorkeling and sights were incredible, so incredible.  We sailed to St. John and visited the coral reefs around Hawksnest Bay and then to Caneel Bay to swim to the beach.  Wow.  So wow.  Again, no underwater camera shots but here's the above water proof.



















If we look annoyed in this next picture, well, we might have been.  Captain, please let me get you a rum punch.

















































An awesome day.
Monday, the trip to St. John.  Now this really was paradise.

(Salt Pond Beach)

(Trunk Bay)

(somewhere near Cruz Bay)



























































Mike and Kim took us around the island, and we took in the sights because it was beautiful.  St. John is two-thirds national park and exquisite to boot.  It's the kind of place that makes you feel like you stumbled upon a hidden treasure few others have the good luck to know about.

















Tuesday: the last day.  We had a late afternoon flight, so we spent the morning in Charlotte Amalie (the capitol) shopping and eating lunch.
















 


















Then we were home.  Isn't weird that none of these pictures feature the star of this blog?  Oh we missed our little buddy!  But he had a blast staying with my parents.  When we went to pick him up, I found he had grown three or four feet taller and discovered that he is not the baby that I picture in my mind when I think of him.  Instead, he is a big boy.  Probably ready to start kindergarten next week.
It was a great vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Malinda, your photos are so lovely, it makes me want to pack up and fly to the islands now! I'm so glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete